HTH0005: The Revolution Will Be Pushed Out Via Browser Extension
Boot-Up (Intro…random topics) :15• Boston accents
• Shoutout to iTunes and their Podcast directory glitch https://twitter.com/libsyn/status/1221863935680401409?s=21
• Computer start-up sounds
AARPCs - Old hardware/Product Longevity Discussion 19:00• Macs vs PCs - compare a 10 year old Mac to a 10 year old PC in terms of support
○ If both are taken care of, the PC wins
• Artificial Obsolescence via end of software support
○ Android is really bad with this
○ iOS and macOS also bad when looking long term (>5 years)
• Steve has several desktop/laptop PCs over a decade old that either are supported.
○ Oldest Macbook still supported is the 2013 MBP (Correction: it's the 2012)
○ 2007 iMac went until MacOS El Capitan (released 2015, final update was July 2018)
○ P4 Dell Dimension from 2004 is still capable of running a supported OS under Linux Mint
• Linux (Where available) can extend the life of hardware
MBOX to O365 25:10• It's possible with Thunderbird
• IMAP your Exchange account + map the MBOX
• ImportExportTools-NG is the extension
• Don't use Mail.app with Exchange
Windows Patching and You 30:30• https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/core-infrastructure-and-security/ldap-channel-binding-and-ldap-signing-requirements-march-update/ba-p/921536/page/3#comments
• What is channel binding, and ldap signing and why do you care?
• What does this patch do, and what could it break?
The IT DEEP STATE: The Virus formally known as Bing 36:24• https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/office-365-blog/introducing-and-managing-microsoft-search-in-bing-through-office/ba-p/1110974
“Unplanned Outage” (Sponsor section - "Hope this Helps is helped by…") 43:28• Shooting smartphone video horizontally
A quick follow-up on the Pentium 4 Linux project from HTH0002 44:55• Successful install that persists through a reboot
• Solution: Move IDE SD card adapter to a slot that contained a CD drive. Power issue?
• Now persists across reboots, GRUB works
• XFCE > Cinnamon for the P4, performance-wise
• Current challenge is overcoming a screen res issue, unplugging second monitor fixes it temporarily
Ask the Stiffs: Question of the Week 48:16• What's your method of backing up your data?
• HTH Blog: Backing Up Your Data
Outro - "Plus Delta” 52:52• Twitter: @HTHThePodcast https://twitter.com/HTHTHEPODCAST
• We help you, you help us: Rate us on iTunes
• Facebook Group: https://www.facebook.com/groups/268339020812998/
• You can watch the raw/unedited feed of the podcast at https://www.twitch.tv/hopethishelps
• From all of us here, "We hope this helps!"