HTH0009: We Went to BurgerTown Today
Boot-Up (Intro…random topics) 00:16• Raccoons and wildlife
• Various podcast housekeeping items
• Facebook, Twitter, Bathroom Magazines
• Ways to remove blue light from your life
• PowerShell 7 is officially out: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/scripting/whats-new/what-s-new-in-powershell-70?view=powershell-7
• Out-GridView is the best
• You can now update your user info, change your password, and more in the authenticator app
• The Coronation ceremony: Microsoft Teams Giving Away Paid Features for Six Months Due to Coronavirus https://www.thurrott.com/microsoft/231376/microsoft-teams-giving-away-paid-features-for-six-months-due-to-coronavirus
• Wash your hands, work from home, be sensible about COVID-19 please! PPE!
• Free Microsoft domains (patched now): https://www.darkreading.com/vulnerabilities---threats/researchers-find-670+-microsoft-subdomains-vulnerable-to-takeover/d/d-id/1337246?_mc=rss_x_drr_edt_aud_dr_x_x-rss-simple
• Writing documentation: Mostly screenshots or purely text?
• VSCode ISE Experience: https://devblogs.microsoft.com/powershell/visual-studio-code-for-powershell-7/
• Copying and pasting code from ISE/the internet is dangerous due to quotes/character encoding
Exchange Online PowerShell Module V2 (EXOPMv2) 28:20• FOLLOW-UP FROM LAST WEEK: Connect-ExchangeOnline DOES support prefixing, there is a command switch. It was just not documented on the official page: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/powershell/module/exchange/powershell-v2-module/connect-exchangeonline?view=exchange-ps
• However, note that the new get-EXO commands are NOT prefixed, regardless.
• Doesn't work in PowerShell 6 or 7, only 5.1 and below: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/exchange-team-blog/faster-and-more-reliable-exchange-online-management-using/ba-p/1198604
• "Microsoft says that they’re considering upgrading other cmdlets. However, they can’t yet say what cmdlets are suitable candidates for upgrade or when more might be available."
• New cmdlets still seem to perform slower than their old counterparts when measured with measure-command at small scale, but does better at large scale for get-mailbox at least
• "The initial slowdown is because the cmdlets support pagination, so when a cmdlet begins to process a set of objects, it sorts the objects to allow the cmdlet to resume processing from a retry point should the need occur. During this period, the cmdlet is also evaluated against RBAC. I call this the “warm up” phase, and once it’s finished, access to the objects is fast and robust."
Help needs Help 38:10• Update-help doesn't work as intended out of the box
• Correct syntax: "powershell Update-Help -Verbose -Force -ErrorAction SilentlyContinue"
Graph: Where do I draw the line? 39:40• Blarg! F@$*! I hate GRAPH!
• Graph PowerShell SDK Preview: https://github.com/microsoftgraph/msgraph-sdk-powershell/tree/dev/samples
Variety Hour 42:20• Unsecured LDAP calls
• The Basic Authpocalypse: MFA/Modern Auth/End of Basic Auth = no more Office 2010 or ActiveSync for you
• ActiveSync on Palm OS, it was a thing once: https://kb.iu.edu/d/atjx
• Microsoft Endpoint Manager and SCCM: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q9Bc2_eJozM
• If you have Intune licensing, you have SCCM licensing: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/intune/fundamentals/licenses
An update on Steve's Pentium 4 Linux adventures 49:26• Swapped to Peppermint OS for one system with the dual monitor bug
• Removed SD card IDE adapter (too many glitches) in favor of a traditional IDE drive
• Linux Mint XFCE on the other single monitor system
• X11vnc / NoMachine / AnyDesk with a huge bug/update patch
• Raspberry Pi NAS project starting soon
• How to pronounce Debian
More Variety Hour 56:18• Yu-Gi-Oh and pronunciation of Seto Kaiba and how it related to pronouncing Keto
• 90s Nickelodeon
• Rumble Pak
• Forwarding topic being deferred to HTH0010