HTH0023: MMMMMMMBasic Authentication
Alternate episode name candidates:
- Falafel Man
- Lovingly Insulting Things
- I Never Validate Feelings
- Diversify My Cloud Provider Portfolio
- We're All Weirdos Inside
- Keep Callin' It DubSauce
- Risky Linux Google Search: "killall man"
- Chicago PowerShell Conference reactions
- "PowerShell 7 works with everything" wellllll kinda sorta….
- Jeff Snover forgets to share his screen
- VS Code PowerShell Notebook View - Sort of like JavaDoc?
- PowerShellGet 3.0 / improvements to shell / "The rocket that is Visual Studio Code"
- Function session
- Should HTH do a conference?
- Is there an easier way to tell who is presently in a Teams meeting?
- Post-show follow-up: Go to your Teams Calendar, go to the meeting, go to "Chat" and there will be logs of who joined, when the meeting started, and when the meeting ended. If it is recurring, the history will also be there.
- Patch your KeePassRPC file now
- M365/EXO: You can now easily enable/disable your crappy legacy auth!
- Windows 10 is Windows 5
- Correction: Windows 7 was released 10/22/09, mainstream support indeed ended 1/14/20
- Let's rank the cloud providers - OneDrive/Dropbox/Google Drive/Box Sync/iCloud
- iCloud Drive sucks, I gave it a chance and it flunked when I needed it most
- Steve's KeePass database got messed up multiple times
- Versioning is only really semi-there if you have a Mac
- Web interface is unacceptable
- Worse than every other cloud service, including Box Sync
- Comparison: OneDrive treats you like a first class citizen on macOS, while iCloud Drive treats you with contempt on Windows.
Hope This Helps Your Diet
- Things to eat/drink while sysadmin-ing
Windows Updates are a headache
- What's your model for patching?
- Staying back one cycle seems to be a good practice
- Steve's experience in past jobs vs now (pre and post cumulative updates)
- The Case Against Knee-Jerk Patching
- Who is Susan Bradley? She keeps MS honest, and is the pulse of the patch community
- RunAsRadio episode with Susan Bradley on Microsoft patch quality
- Susan's open letter to MS in 2018 - Previous RunAs podcast about the same thing
- Current example: Windows 10 2004 is a bit of a mess right now with 14 issues in "investigating" status. Compare it to 1909. Also reportedly causing issues with Office.
- MS had to block Surfaces from getting 1803 (Source: above RunAs Radio episode), and now it's happening again with 2004
- Proper risk assessment is a sensible approach
- If we don't patch, what is at risk? Can we mitigate? Do we need this patch?
- If we do patch, what is at risk? Do we (+MS) know what could break?
- Identifying undisclosed vulnerabilities by examining release notes/documentation
That Is Accurate
- The Firefox Logo is in fact not a fox. It is a Red Panda.
Ask the Stiffs: Question of the Week
- Do you prefer boring/informative server names or custom ones?
- The case against names with spaces in them
- "Macintosh HD" is a bad name for a hard drive