HTH0027: Don't Helicopter Daddy Me
- It's conference season! Register for VMWorld/Ignite/anything! They're all online!
- A modest list of bugs in Windows 10 that Steve submitted in the Feedback Hub that got ignored/no upvotes
- Slow finger touch response time on Surface Pro 6 vs pen/mouse
- Most files called "hosts" are removed by Windows Defender
- System tray context menus pop up under the taskbar in Task View
- Run box randomly won't remember history
- Action Center cannot intake large quantities of notifications
- Thoughts on Apple vs Epic Games
HTH Update Corner
- Ready the Bud Light Showtime Cam (not sponsored) - Teams NFL experiences
- "Gameday: For players and coaches, the Microsoft Surface Sideline Viewing System has become an integral part of the game as Microsoft technology helps power 269 NFL gameday events each year with more than 2,000 Surface devices and 170 Windows Servers deployed across 30 NFL stadiums."
- Linux file systems accessible in Win10 Insider Build 20211
- Simplifying SSUs
- "Our upcoming changes will ensure that the SSU and LCU are provided together under a single payload to both Windows Server Update Services (WSUS) and Microsoft Catalog."
- Grab a copy of 2004, before the next big FU!
- Touch-enabled File Explorer: Create a shortcut that points to this:
- Exchange Security Updates Sep 2020
- CVE-2020-16875 for Exchange 2016/2019: "A remote code execution vulnerability exists in Microsoft Exchange server due to improper validation of cmdlet arguments. An attacker who successfully exploited the vulnerability could run arbitrary code in the context of the System user."
- Teams "new conversation" button so that one coworker can stop making a new thread any time they want to reply
What did Microsoft hose this week?
- EX221227 - "Admins may be unable to migrate some mailboxes"
- Start time: 8/26/2020 7am UTC
- End time: 9/8/2020 5:27pm UTC
- Official Issue not posted until 5 days later…"Start time: August 31, 2020 6:38 PM"
- "Root cause: A recent service update to Exchange Online caused issues with migration requests."
- "We're reviewing our validation and update procedures to prevent issues like this from occurring in the future."
- "Approximately 1.6 percent of migrations encountered this issue, and admins can now resume their migrations or restart those that encountered a failure."
- TM221283 Users who are given control by a presenter during a Microsoft Teams meeting are unable to control the screen
- "Depending on how impact is presenting itself for your organization, there are workarounds available. If no mouse or keyboard actions are working, users may click on one of the side rail items (such as Chat, Teams or Calendar) and then return to the meeting screen to mitigate impact. If a user has issues controlling the top of the screen, the sharer needs to move the shared app (such as a web browser or the Outlook client) down 40 pixels to mitigate the impact."
- "We've determined that a recent service update is causing the problem. We're developing a fix, which is expected to take an extended period of time to complete as we need to make sure that it doesn’t negatively impact any additional aspects of the Microsoft Teams service. We're expecting for the validation of the fix to complete by Tuesday, September 15, 2020, at which time we're aiming to provide an ETA for the deployment of the fix and the remediation of impact."
- "Our telemetry suggests that approximately three percent of meetings may experience impact."
Setting up a Disposable O365 Training environment
- 30 Day O365 E3 Trials
- Use cases: Demos, classes, need Office in a pinch
- Be sure to clean up PII afterwards