HTH0029: I Am A Single Core Brain
- SLACK OUTAGE
- M365 outage
- MO222965 - What is the point of posting this to a portal nobody can get to?
- "Current status: We've identified and are reverting a recent change to the service which may be causing or contributing to impact."
- "We're not observing an increase in successful connections after rolling back a recent change. We're working to evaluate additional mitigation solutions while we investigate the root cause. Please visit http://status.office.com for additional information on this issue."
- Root Cause Analysis posted
- Root Cause: On September 28 at 21:25 UTC, a service update targeting an internal validation test ring was deployed, causing a crash upon startup in the Azure AD backend services. A latent code defect in the Azure AD backend service Safe Deployment Process (SDP) system caused this to deploy directly into our production environment, bypassing our normal validation process.
- Automated rollback failed due to the corruption of the SDP metadata. At 22:47 UTC we initiated the process to manually update the service configuration which bypasses the SDP system, and the entire operation completed by 23:59 UTC.
- Ignite post-game show
- Thoughts overall
- NO SWAG!
- Also the Vmware VMWorld post-game show within a show
- Physical Ignite is so much better
- Azure VMware Solution
- Microsoft Announces Ignite, Part 2, is Happening in March
- Exchange – Here, There and Everywhere - External Forwarding Command Center and Certificate-Based Authentication (CBA). On-prem Exchange now subscription only
- PowerShell Unplugged - Challenge Edition
- Taking your automation to the next level with PowerShell 7
- Microsoft Mechanics 2020
- RIP Defender ATP, new name Microsoft Defender for Endpoint
- Video Hub
- Random bug of the day
- When using multiple Container tabs/accounts for the same website, Twitter/Anchor in Firefox seems to require a cached reload (CTRL F5) for likes/retweets/notification counts to clear. Anchor needs it for certain settings to save.
ALL HAIL VLOOKUP
- Why Vlookup
- Say your master server inventory is inconsistent with your VMWare inventory, how do you find out what's missing? Vlookup
- How Vlookup
- Syntax: Source cell, Range to look up, column index, exact match (false most of the time)
- Who Vlookup
- People in a hurry
- Where Vlookup
- Say you are trying to merge multiple lists of data. How do you link them? Vlookup + copy + "Paste values"
Declassified Sysadmin Stories: The impossible wifi project
- (What happens when a sysadmin attempts a wifi project by himself)
- Project was in 2016
- Replace ancient HP Procurve wireless infrastructure with Cisco infrastructure
- ProCurve 420 and 530 WAPs
- Rebootable via PoE, they frequently died
- Perform tests all over campus, run scans, tests, learn a lot of about radios
- Test with lights on, lights off, doors open/closed, microwaves, bathrooms, water, etc
- Vistumbler, Airport Utility, RSSI
- Carts with long cables
- Limited number of Cisco APs (30 Aironet CAP1602i), not enough to cover the campus
- MAC-Daddy registration for all standard wifi devices, ancient Linux box, student project from years past that became production
- Learned all about RADIUS (NPS)
- MAC registration for non-802.1x compliant devices
- Test things like Zune HD, Wii U, Wii U in Wii Mode, PS3, PS4, Xbox 360, Xbox One, 3DS, Android Tablets, TVs, etc
- Visual Studio .NET app called MacDaddyJr - Form to CSV - PS Scheduled Task to create AD Users for MACs, add to group, change primary group
- Manually build out two Cisco WLC 2500s for the APs to talk to + interface with parent company controller
- Summer of wiring
- Impossible fiber line repair: Line going from campus to building we didn't own with difficult owner to athletics building/hangar that was rarely used in the first place
That is Accurate
Ask the Stiffs: Question of the Week
- What is your favorite current piece of tech [wrong answers only]?